Thursday, February 12, 2015

Day 1382: Thursday, Feb 12th

Thursday, February 12, 2015
Week 2 of the journey! My goal is 52 posts this calendar year.  Will be figuring out titles and day of my life numbers as I go.
1) Got my free Page-a-day calendar online.  This is the one I really wanted to have in print but couldn’t find once they went on sale.  Glad to have it this way.
2) Love me some Amy Poehler.  Currently reading her book: Yes, Please! She makes me think and laugh out loud often at the same time.
 3) This bullshit is really pissing me off.  Someone in my second period could die prematurely of unnatural causes.  Just saying…

Teachers, There is an App that students are using to emulate the projector remote, this allows them to turn the projector on and off. If this is happening that is the cause unless you are getting a “lamp time error” msg on the screen. ~ Esmond

4) I really enjoy Austin Kleon.  I will probably highlight his stuff often.  You can find him here.  Love his books Show Your Work and Steal like an Artist and I highly recommend them.  He has a weekly newsletter you can subscribe to here.

5)    “Power is of two kinds. One is obtained by the fear of punishment and the other by acts of love. Power based on love is a thousand times more effective and permanent then the one derived from fear of punishment. ” ― Mahatma Gandhi


While this isn't the most narratively structured book, it is full of amazing quotes and anecdotes. I particularly liked Kareem Abdul Jabbar's description of Wooden as being against passion. It's in line with what I have been thinking about a lot recently. Good for a quick read, and like I said, lots of great lines in here from Wooden, from his father, and from players like Kareem, Bill Walton and others. If you liked The Education of a Coach, this would be a good one to follow it up with.   ~Ryan Holiday

7) Check out Sport Without Balls.  This week was fabulous. Also love this drawing of Erin all done up in her Giants gear.  I'm slightly obsessed with this podcast at the moment.  Check it out at All Things Comedy.




18608
I challenge you to Defy Gravity!

No comments:

Post a Comment